Monday, July 14, 2014

Once Upon A Time Poster: Finish

Here's the finished poster for OUAT Season 1. It was done with Prisma color pencils, oil paint, and acrylic paint on Strathmore bristol board. The final painting is 17 x 22.

Some of you may wonder... I realize that the show never uses stars to depict magic, but I wanted to include a graphic image to move the viewer around the poster and help to balance the larger shapes. Also, Henry's book isn't magical (at least in the way that I have it depicted here)… but it was the book that seemed to wake Henry up to the reality of Storybooke, which then led him to find Emma, which led to the undoing of Regina's curse in Season 1. I decided to use my creative license to enhance it's helpful properties. 

I hope you enjoy it as much as I did creating it. 


Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Once Upon a Time Poster: 3

I've started adding color and I'm really happy with the progress. There's also been some nice attention on Twitter and Facebook… always exciting. 

Here's where I am so far. Someone mentioned it looks like Season 1 - which is exactly what it is. Starting to ponder what a Season 2 poster would look like… hmmm :) Any suggestions?

Fortunately/unfortunately… I have a "real" job now. A children's book which I'm really excited about and pays me money… but it takes away from time on this project. Keep watching for progress… and hopefully the finish soon.


(Some book detail)

Friday, June 13, 2014

Once Upon A Time Poster: 2

I'm not finished yet, but here is where I am. My plan is to work with realistic flesh tones - so I guess for now this is the underpainting. An image like this is all about design and readable likenesses. I hope I'm capturing both. If nothing else, I'm having a blast and feeling a little "Drew Struzan-ish." 


Once Upon A Time Poster

If you know me, or have read my blog posts, you'll know that I love a good television show. Recently I decided to give Once Upon A Time on  ABC a try… and I'm hooked. (No pun intended.) So of course I had to do a little painting for season 1. Just to be clear, this is not for ABC or the show, it is merely fan art for my own practice and enjoyment. I'm also using this opportunity to engage more with social media, so I've been posting my progress on Instagram http://instagram.com/brunetillustration and Twitter https://twitter.com/JoshuaBrunet

However, I will be posting the image in its entirety here when it's complete. For now, here's a few images of my progress.

The final sketch


















Texture I created with the oil wash. I thought it looked kind of "magical."

Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Demo Process Final

It's so hard to "finish" anything. I think this is done, although I'm not sure I really nailed the character's likeness. I cleaned up the painting with color pencil, and then a final layer of very specific brush strokes. I hope you enjoyed the process. And now that Sherlock Season 3 is on Netflix, I think I will celebrate. 

Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Demo Process Five

I added a couple layers of oil paint. First I glazed in alizarin crimson and phthalo blue to give the face some color. Then I started laying in thicker, tinted versions of those same colors with paynes gray. I like to lay in the oils a little messy, then clean it up with pencil. It's drying in the back window of my car as I write. I also added a white glow behind his head with white oils, then scratched in a little message, "I will BURN you." 

Friday, May 23, 2014

Demo Process Four


Here it is with a layer of Prisma color pencil work on top of the dry oil paints. I used black and white pencil to clean up messy parts, define detailed areas, and enhance the values. I also used a Sharpie marker to add some copy to the background… a little Sherlock bonus for the fans. Next step… more oils. Can't wait.