Thursday, September 8, 2011

Fall!

Fall, Autumn... call it whatever you want, I love it! The cool weather, the scent of wet, falling leaves, college football, camp fires,  jackets, jeans and long sleeve shirts...  (not to mention the gradual build-up to Christmas!) This kind of weather invigorates me and calls for me to create. I'm currently working on a few projects, but I thought it would be fun to show you the creative process of a painting I did last fall which was inspired by one of my favorite fall books as well as Disney animated features - The Legend of Sleepy Hollow by Washington Irving. The assignment was for my MFA program. We were asked to create a magazine cover from the 1900 - 1950's. I chose the Saturday Evening Post, October 31, 1953. The idea was inspired by the covers of Norman Rockwell and had to include a notable figure from the time period... I chose Danny Kaye. Below is the initial moleskin sketch.
Enjoy the process and happy fall!

3 comments:

  1. The final piece is one of my favorite paintings of yours!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. I liked it too. The cover for the audio book (cassette tape) in our library is so terrible... I may just check it out and replace it with mine. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Actually... I am going to do it. Today!

    ReplyDelete