Friday, September 16, 2011

Research & Photo Reference


One of the first things I did was to read Irving's book. I love his style of writing and attention to detail. I was able to incorporate a lot of Irving's details into the sketch, which made it a lot of fun for me. After I nailed down my idea, I started looking for reference. I had a great old photo in my files that I have always wanted to use for a Sleepy Hollow painting. There's an old church in the background with super gnarly trees in the foreground. It's very foreboding. I then scheduled a photo shoot with a friend of mine, but had to add the horse and background in digitally. Our family loves going to fall festivals and there are a few good ones in West Tennessee. I brought my camera and was able to get a lot of great shots of horses in harness, old wooden wagon wheels, etc. I also had to incorporate the face of Danny Kaye to fulfill the assignment, as well as research the look and layout of The Saturday Evening Post in 1953.  The final Photoshop file is a mess - but provided a wonderful map for me to use to begin my final drawing... complete with a copy of Cotton Mather's History of New England Witchcraft.







No comments:

Post a Comment