Friday, December 9, 2011

Tumnus' Self Portrait

Tumnus begins his journal with a self-portrait created "by looking into a still pond." C.S. Lewis describes Mr. Tumnus with "a red woolen muffler round his neck and his skin was rather reddish too. He had a strange, but pleasant little face, with a short pointed beard and curly hair, and out of the hair there stuck two horns, one on each side of his forehead." The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe.
I drew quite a few Tumnus' while in college, but this was my favorite image. The model was a good friend whom we all called, "Crazy Dave." I guess you can see why. (Thanks again Dave.) 
I just started reading The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe with my kids and it's really fun to see their excitement and curiousness over Narnia. I can't wait to show them this journal. 


An interesting note. This sketch helped me to get  my first freelance with Focus on The Family. The art director liked the loose background. 

1 comment: