Thursday, December 15, 2011

The White Witch

This was probably an acrylic wash with pencil and gesso, and is another college friend. 
The text reads: 
I was at one time under the service of the cruel white witch. (Many Narnian's were forced to work for her at the risk of their lives - for she often turned them into stone.) When she learned of my artistic talent - she had me paint this portrait of her. I had only gotten this far however when I found Lucy by the lamp post. I wasn't able to turn in Lucy to the witch - which was my duty - and I was arrested only a few days after I helped Lucy escape. The witch was so angry, I was turned into stone before I ever had a chance to finish. I am glad however, for I was never able to place a crown upon the head of the witch and Lucy make a far better queen!
Lewis describes the queen as "... a great lady, taller than any woman that Edmund had ever seen. She also was covered in white fur up to her throat and held a long straight golden wand in her right hand. Her face was white - not merely pale, but white like snow or paper or icing-sugar, except for her very red mouth. It was a beautiful face in other respects, but proud and cold and stern."
C.S. Lewis form The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe


This Image is sewn unto the top right corner of the image above. It was a sketch I had done for another etching in printmaking class, but it never turned out right. It's funny because I did so much research on this particular piece (medieval sleds, reindeer, etc...) but the design never struck me as good enough to etch into a metal plate. Fortunately I kept the sketch because it makes for a good story telling element for the journal.

No comments:

Post a Comment