Thursday, March 22, 2012

Conceptual Work: Big Blue Frog

It's been a while since I last posted, but that does not mean that I haven't been working. In fact, I have been very busy developing the images and layouts for my newest book with Imagine Publishing entitled, I'm in Love with a Big Blue Frog, by Peter Yarrow (of Peter, Paul and Mary) which is scheduled to be in stores January/February 2013. My publisher has been very gracious to allow me to post some of my work as I create it, but first I wanted to show you some of the conceptual work I've done to get where I am now.

Their has been a lot of revisions and start-overs as I have worked to develop the main characters, but the process has really refined the characters into a very lovable duo that I am very proud of. I am constantly reminded of my former professor, Bunny Carter, who always told us it took 50 thumbnails to come up with a good image... and that has certainly been true with this project. But the work has been worth it and it has been a lot of fun drawing and painting these two into the world we have created for them.

Here's a sample of the development process, with the final look of the Big Blue Frog and his girlfriend at the bottom of the page. More to come soon. Enjoy.



2 comments:

  1. Great stuff! Love the three girl variations singing along with Mr. Frog! Excellent work.

    ReplyDelete