Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Brunet & Sons Illustration


I was planning to post my nearly completed illustration from "I'm in Love with a Big Blue Frog," but I couldn't pass this up. My oldest son has to research a children's book illustrator for school, and create a picture in the style of that artist. He loves the book, "Chalk" by Bill Thomson (a former professor of mine at The University of Hartford.) Bill has a great web page where he talks through the development of his illustrations. (You can check it out HERE.) He starts with thumbnails, rough sketch, photo-shoot, etc... very similar to the way I work. So after our research, my son came up with an illustration idea. He started with a thumbnail sketch, drew a rough sketch, and last night he directed our family for his photo-shoot. 


I was so proud of him. He set us up, positioned us, and provide props for us. It felt very professional. 


Then... my youngest son (who is 3) came out with his own drawing and informed us it was his turn to direct a photo-shoot. It was hilarious. Somehow, from his sketch, he knew exactly how he wanted us to pose. He was very specific with each person's stance, where and how they stood, and what they were doing. We took it very seriously, but inside were cracking up. I think my business is grooming a couple of new talents. 



No comments:

Post a Comment