Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Inspiration


As I was working on my soda shop illustration, I got some wonderful inspiration from my favorite illustrator, Norman Rockwell. This painting was a Saturday Evening Post cover on August 22, 1953 and currently hangs in the Columbus Museum of Art in Ohio. It is so great... and it made for good reference as well. 


I also found inspiration at one of my favorite Jackson, TN hot-spots... The Old Country Store at Casey Jones Village.  Inside they have an old, 1890's ice cream parlor that has been named one of the top 50 ice cream parlors in America.


Here is the final drawing that was approved for painting.  You'll notice some elements from both Rockwell's painting and the 1890's ice cream parlor. Researching paintings is one of the best parts of creating. For this image, I have an entire file full of animal photos, models, paintings and props... it's just like doing a research paper in high-school - only instead of having to write the paper, I get to paint a picture. It's the best of both worlds.



2 comments:

  1. if i were an elephant, i'd have my trunk in the Marciano Cherries.

    ReplyDelete