Monday, May 12, 2014

Demo Process

I want to do a series of posts showing my process and how it relates to traditional painting. Here is the first part of the process, the final sketch. 

In my Life Painting 1 class at Rocky Mountain College of Art and Design, we recently did a charcoal drawing from a cast on newsprint. Then we transferred the drawing to our canvas, and restated the lines with black acrylic paint.

When I work, I use a projector to project my small sketch onto a larger piece of Strathmore 3-ply Bristol Board. Then I rework the tracing using a black Prismacolor pencil. I try not to do any shading at this stage (although it's hard not to.) Then I prepare the bristol board for paint with a layer of matte medium. Usually I draw circles in the matte medium to create texture and subtle directional lines towards the focal point.

It tends to look flat and disproportioned at this stage, but that will be fixed when I start to paint and use values to push and pull the elements into place.

I like this stage a lot because it allows me to do what I do best: draw. I've always considered myself a "drawer," and this process keeps drawing at the heart. 

No comments:

Post a Comment